"When it comes to political action, we support those who support us."
Our Association has always been politically active in lobbying all levels of government for legislation to protect and improve the safety and working conditions of our members and the public we serve.
Each year, members of Local 323 join with the BC Professional Fire Fighters Association to formally lobby members of the BC provincial government to make them aware of the range of issues we are concerned about in an effort to improve legislation that helps protects fire fighters. We also participate in federal lobbying on behalf of our membership.
Our issues include:
• Establishment of a National Public Safety Officer Compensation Benefit in Canada
• Establishment of a National Office for Fire Statistics
• CPP Reform for Canada's Professional Fire Fighters
• Amending the National Building Code of Canada
• Third-Party Investigations of Fire Fighter Line of Duty Deaths
• Legislation to protect Fire Fighters who develop cancer and heart conditions (our members have an almost 2:1 ratio of getting these diseases as compared to the general population);
• Hazardous Materials tracking systems (known as Operation Respond) and Haz Mat training;
• Canadian Airport Regulation changes to improve response to airplane disasters;
• WCB Regulation dealing with protective equipment we wear;
• Enhancing our role as First Responders through training and regulatory changes in a layered pre-hospital care system.